Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

A loving creature ...

Once, when my daughter was smaller, she and I were walking home from the sitter's.  As usual, she was chattering away ...

"We saw a dead squirrel today, mama. It was all squished by a car."

Then she continued excitedly,

"It had blood comin' from it's nose ... an' there was blood comin' from everywhere ... and its tongue was totally broke-ded off!"

I commented that it must've been gross.

With that, her steps slowed and her voice softened, "Yeah, but it was sad. It was a loving animal. It was a loving creature, you know?"

I asked, "Don't you mean a living creature?"

And she stopped. Hand already in mine, she yanked my arm, so I would face her ... and she looked up at me with sad velvety eyes,

"No, mommy. It was a LOVING animal. It prolly had BABIES."



No comments:

Post a Comment