Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

"Flock of Love", with MeMe

Over the years, I have written down many many conversations I've had with MeMe. This was one of them, from two years ago.

~~~

October 8, 2008

Yesterday, MeMe and I were sitting at a bus shelter that was covered with graffiti and she remarked on one part, where someone had markered “Folklove”…

MeMe: “Some bad people wrote all over that, mama.”

Mommy: “I know, honey. Some people do silly things to make themselves feel important.”

MeMe [trying to read the scribbles]: “Fokka … Flokka … Fokla … Flockalove … You know, mama, I have a Flock of Love.”

Mommy: “You do? What’s a flock of love?”

MeMe: “That’s when you’ve got lots of people that you love and they are together...”

Mommy: “Together?”

MeMe: “Yeah. A FLOCK of love. I have one.”

Mommy: “Like who? Where is it?”

MeMe [bangs her chest]: “Here. I have a flock of love in here. And there are lots of people in it.”

Mommy: “Well, what the heck does that feel like?”

MeMe: “Like fluttering.”

Mommy: “Who’s in your flock?”

MeMe: “You. Daddy. Grandma. Maybe my cousins, if they don’t fight with me.”

Mommy: “Don’t forget to be in your own flock, Meems. You should always be #1 in your own flock.”

MeMe: “Are you #1 in YOUR flock?”

Mommy: “Nope. When you have babies, then the babies are #1.”

MeMe: “Huh. Well, you can be #2 in my flock of love.”

Mommy: “I dunno how you keep track of all those flockers. You must have a big heart.”

MeMe: “Yuh huh.”

Mommy: “Do people get to stay forever in your flock of love?”

MeMe: “Sometimes. Most of the time. Unless I just stop thinking about them … or they’re mean to me.”

Mommy:  “Then what do you do?”

MeMe [heaving her sneakered foot from back to front]:

"I … KICK. THEM. OUT.”




No comments:

Post a Comment